There’s no denying the mesmerizing sparkle and classic appeal of a dazzling diamond, but let’s be honest — they’re not for everyone. If you fancy yourself more of a trend-setter or a trailblazer than a gemstone classicist, consider thinking outside the diamond, so to speak, and going for a non-diamond engagement ring that’s equally as blingy.
Put a Wedding Ring on That Finger Already
Why Choose a Non-Diamond Engagement Ring?
There are a few obvious reasons to skip the diamond when designing your ring. The most important are aesthetic and personal preference, but you’ll also find that going diamond-free will bring you some massive cost savings. While price varies widely depending on the size and quality of your stone, in general, an alternative stone will cost significantly less carat for carat than a diamond. For example, the average cost of a 1-carat diamond ranges from $1,800 to $12,000, while the average cost of an equivalent 1-carat sapphire ranges from $450 to $1,600.
Before You Go Shopping
Before you so much as pull up your Pinterest app, you want to determine a few important factors that will influence how to pick your perfect non-diamond engagement ring.
- What is my (or my partner’s) budget?
- Which center stone shapes do I like best?
- What vibe am I going for?
- Do I want a colorful gem or a diamond look?
- Do I want diamond accents or none at all?
Pick a Colorful Alt Stone
The next step in choosing your non-diamond engagement ring is to consider your alternative stone options. You may make your choice based on aesthetic, cost, symbolism or another personal reason. There’s no shortage of alternative stone options available for people who aren’t in love with the idea of a diamond. Here are a few popular ones for your consideration.
- Vibrant Blue or Pink Sapphire — When you think of a sapphire, you probably picture a deep blue stone like the 12-carat stunner Prince William gave to Kate Middleton back in 2010. While blue sapphires are an all-time classic, there’s more to the story when it comes to sapphire stones. If you love a rosy look, consider a champagne sapphire. Sapphire is the September birthstone symbolizing truth, joy, royalty and good fortune. They are also incredibly durable. The Mohs scale speaks to a stones durability or hardness and sapphires are just below Diamonds in rank. Sapphires come in a range of colors covering the entire rainbow so they are a wonderful choice for a ring you’ll wear everyday.
- Mesmerizing Green Tsavorite — A variety of garnet, tsavorite is a great option for someone who adores the look of emerald but doesn’t want a gemstone as common. A bit brighter in color than the typical emerald, an emerald cut tsavorite makes an awesome engagement ring for the wearer who adores a unique, vintage look. Tsavorite symbolizes vitality, benevolence and compassion. Because of its rarity, it can be a bit more expensive than sapphire. Being that Sapphires and Garnets are in the same family, a tsavorite garnet will have the same amazing durability as a sapphire, perfect for everyday wear.
- Ever-Changing Purple Alexandrite — Sometimes referred to as “emerald by day, ruby by night,” alexandrite is a bit of a chameleon in the world of precious gems. With stunning hues of blues, purples, greens and reds, this kaleidoscopic gem is perfect for the wearer who considers herself a true-blue original and doesn’t want to be pigeon-holed to one color or style. It symbolizes luck, intellect and love. Like hazel eyes, the wearer might find their ring trying to adapt in color to what they’re wearing everyday. Natural Alexandrite is extremely rare, but you can also find lab created alexandrite that is more affordable and created with the same circumstances, just in a lab, so it possesses the same incredible color changes.
Consider Lab-Grown Diamonds
In addition to colorful gems, you don’t want to sleep on the classic looking diamond alternatives out there. Bringing more affordability, less conflict and often more beauty, Lab-grown diamonds bring the wow factor of the typical gem minus all the downsides.
Since they are made of the same chemical compound as “real” diamonds, lab-grown diamonds provide the ultimate in fire and sparkle. The only difference is that these diamonds were manufactured in lab environments. Bonus: They’re ethically sourced and much less expensive, so you can give yourself a pat on the back while you sparkle.
Find Your Perfect Non-Diamond Ring
At Rosie Ray, we understand that every shopper is unique, and we don’t believe in forcing a certain stone or style on anyone. We’ve got one-of-a-kind engagement rings that will make your heart flutter to match your personality, style and your perfect love story.